10 Tips for Connecting with Angels
By Val Tobin
Angels are messengers of God and want to help you in all areas of your life, from the trivial, such as getting you through traffic, to the significant, such as finding a new home. But they can't help you unless you ask. Since we all have free will and they will not interfere with that, they need your permission before they can help you.
Here are ten things that will make it easier for you to ask for, receive, and accept help from the angels, whether they are your guardian angels (everyone has at least two) or the archangels (more powerful than guardian angels and every bit as loving):
- Ask. The number one rule
when connecting to the angels
is to ask for help. They
cannot help you if you do
not ask for their help. There
are many different ways to
ask for help: verbally, mentally,
or via the written word,
- Look for signs. When angels are near, you might pick up the scent of roses, find a white feather, or hear beautiful music with no physical source. Notice what is around you. Live in awareness.
- A buzzing in one of your ears. When I started connecting with angels, I developed a buzzing sound in one of my ears. I didn't realize why this was happening (there was no physical cause), until I read in one of Doreen Virtue's books that this happens when you start to connect. Doreen suggests that you ask them to turn it down if it is too loud, and I have found that this does work. Sometimes, I've asked them to turn it up, and so they do. This buzzing or ringing is not tinnitus (have your doctor rule out any physical causes) and relays messages from the angels to your unconscious.
- Dream work. Ask the angels to come into your dreams and give you messages that you will remember upon awakening. Keep a notebook, pen, and flashlight by your bed, so that you can write down your dream as soon as you wake up. Dream recall dissipates quickly, so you need to write the dream down immediately or it will disappear from your conscious memory. When I've reviewed my dream journal after a few weeks, I'm amazed at the stories and messages contained within it. It is worth the bother.
- Meditation. It is said that praying is talking to God and meditation is listening to God. When you allow yourself to relax into a meditative state, you are more open to receiving messages from the angels. Before beginning your meditation, ask a question that you would like your angels to answer for you, or request that they bring you a solution to a problem you are trying to solve. During the meditation, you will get guidance on your request.
- Synchronicities. Sometimes
your angels will respond
to you through coincidences.
As everyone does at times,
I recently went through a
difficult period where I
questioned my beliefs. I
asked my angels to please
give me a sign that I was
on the right path. Immediately,
I started to see the word "believe" everywhere
This works when connecting with your spirit guides as well. I once asked for some specific guidance, and, just to make sure that I'd get a response even I couldn't mistake, I asked them to "hit me over the head with it."
The next day, I found myself having dinner with a woman who, as it turned out, was highly intuitive. During our conversation, she suddenly turned to me and said that my guides had a message for me. It was regarding the issue that I had asked them about. She gave me the answer I needed, and then looked at me strangely and said, "They're showing me that they're knocking on your head." Of course, that verified for me this was the message I had been waiting for.
- Crystals. Stones, gems, and crystals can help you to connect with the angels and receive their messages. Some crystals that are conducive to helping you connect with your angels are clear quartz (don't keep it too close to your bed at night if you are very sensitive, as it could interfere with sleep), amethyst, or rose quartz. Wearing a rose quartz necklace will help you to open up your heart chakra, the energy centre that helps open you to unconditional love and joy, and, of course, unconditional love is what the angels are all about.
- Photographs. Orbs that show up in photos can be angelic presences. When my husband and I were in Hawaii in March of 2008, attending Doreen Virtue's Angel Therapy Practitioner® course, a number of photographs we took contained orbs (such as the dolphin photo on the left), indicating angelic presence.
- Nature. Get out into nature. When you connect with nature, you allow yourself to become more receptive to spirit. It is sometimes difficult to get enough time outdoors, especially in Canada, when so much of what we do is ruled by what the weather does. But it is important to regularly go outside and remember that we're a part of nature as much as the plants and animals are.
- Affirmations and ego. At times you can feel blocked and think that you "get nothing" (I speak from experience). It is at these times that your ego is getting in your way, and you can counter that in a few different ways. You can ask Archangel Michael to silence your ego of the doubts with which it fills your head, or you can say some positive affirmations to remind yourself that you are connected to the angels and can easily hear their messages.
Working with angels and receiving their help and guidance enhances your life in ways that you won't realize until you start making use of it. As I said before, they will help you with things that range from the trivial, such as getting through traffic, or the significant, such as buying a home, as my own experiences can attest:
I have always had a fear of driving, though I did manage to overcome it long enough to get my driver's license. But I prefer not to drive, and have at times gone to great lengths to avoid having to do it.
It recently occurred to me that I could ask the angels for help with this. Not only did they help me to overcome my nervousness when I had to drive by myself to a workshop a few weeks ago, but they made the drive itself smooth and clear.
I asked the angels to time the lights so that I could sail on through, and when I needed to make left turns, I asked that they clear the way for me so I wouldn't have to wait. They came through for me on all counts, and I had a stress-free drive to my workshop.
When we were looking for a new home, and found one we loved, negotiations turned out to be difficult. We actually told the real estate agents that we were no longer interested, because the owners were giving us such a hard time. I silently asked the angels to intervene if it was meant for us to have this property. Days later, the real estate agents called us up to let us know that the owners were willing to accept the last offer we put in.If you follow the ten tips, above, you will be able to help the angels to help you. Just don't forget to ask first.
Disclaimer: The information on this web site is not intended to substitute advice from your physician or health-care professional. Before beginning any health or diet program, consult your physician.